Friday 10 August 2012

The origin of... the Dutch Delta

Before I went on holidays in July, I worked on my research proposal, in order to submit it for the (lets hope) approval of my research school WASS. In preparatory discussions with my supervisors there was one recurring questions: What is a Delta? Is it an idea? A hydrological  unit? A geographical space? Where/when does it start or end?

When I returned to office from my holidays I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this august the Social Studies of Science journal published a special issue on water, with contributions from a.o. Wiebe Bijker on Water Cultures. Totally fascinating to read the introductory article 'Water Worlds' by Jessica Barnes and Samer Alatout. Similar to what I intend to do in my research, the authors translate the fascinating 'Body Multiple' (2002) by Dutch philosopher/anthropologist Annemarie Mol to the domain of water studies. Annemarie Mol who also this summer received the prestigious Dutch Spinoza prize.


Going through this special issue I had to think of this special issue of Technology & Culture focused entirely on the Dutch water management, technologies and politics, which was published 10 years ago (2002). In this special issue there was also a contribution by Wiebe Bijkers: The Oosterschelde Storm Surge Barrier: A Test Case for Dutch Water Technology, Management, and Politics. 

The two contributions by Wiebe Bijker to both these excellent special issues to me shows that apparently the Dutch Delta starts in Maastricht!

No comments:

Post a Comment