Thursday 6 September 2012

Cogito Ergo Sun


This week I had a email conversation with Jeroen Warner, one of the senior researchers in our project, about Descartes’ iconic “Cogito Ergo Sum” in relation to the idea/possibility of full (flood) control. Marcel Metze, in his pageturner ‘Veranderend Getij: Rijkswaterstaat in Crisis’ (Changing Tide: Rijkswaterstaat in a Crisis), shows how  ‘control’ (In Dutch: beheersen) is a core keyword in Rijkswaterstaats organisational culture (see page 204).



Today Jeroen pointed me at the name of the Wageningen based solar-studio: ErgoSun. This made me wonder wether this is referring to “I sun, therefore I am” or “I am, therefor I sun”. Eitherway, if we can controll the sunshine, we might aswell controll the waters around us: Cogito Ergo Sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment